Wednesday, July 23, 2008

UPS Tracking Number 4117886975 - dangerious download email virus

Subject: UPS Tracking Number 4117886975
Sent Via: United Parcel Service
Sent Via EMail: xxmmc@bloomelectric.com
Determination: Dangerous email - delete at once! This email attachment in a zip file will infect your computer with viruses or spyware.

Unfortunately we were not able to deliver postal package you sent on July the 1st in time because the recipient’s address is not correct.
Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our office

Your UPS

Attachment zip file with virus named: UPS_INVOICE_187271.zip

Update 7-24-2008
Tons of people have been infected with the UPS Virus and we suggest you try the Free virus protection and free internet tools that we ourselves use.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just came across the same thing and investigating it as of right now. however the email i received had a different tracking number titled. UPS Tracking NUmber 4712895038. But the Attachment is the same.

Anonymous said...

I came across the same virus today. The order number was different, but the zip file was titled the same. I am currently investigating it as of now.

artisan3741 said...

I got it this morning tried to open it.Seens to cause my computer to shut down after a few minutes and my Norton will not open.Have deleated both the zip and the exe file and now am trying to gget Norton back up.Any removal tool available?
Tony

artisan3741 said...

I unzipped the file and then tried to open the word doc.Guess I gave myself a virus...
Computer began shutting down every few minuts and when it bebooted I had no Norton to protect me.I am still unable to open Norton programs and am searching for a way to find the leftover file that created the problem.Have deleated both the zip and exe filesbut still no exe on norton. any suggestions besides paying Norton to remove it?
Tony

Anonymous said...

got it too. came from
Xerox Business Solutions
Ph: 4759 9499
Fax: 4759 9444
www.xrx.com.au

Do not unzip or open this message. You will be cleaning up for weeks

Anonymous said...

Here's the same email I received with different tracking and sender...but appears very legit so VERY DANGEROUS FOR THE UNSUSPECTING...

UPS Tracking Number 9123989846
From: "United Parcel Service" or sender as "jpd@bochtoyota.com"

bochtoyota.com is real but the attachment appears to be the same as yours UPS_INVOICE_187271.zip and the zipped file enclosed is a .exe application, which is the only reason why I didn't open it.

Anonymous said...

I found that a simple System Restore fixed the problem.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is definitly a virus. Infact it installs a self-restoring trogan virus, as well as 32+ spyware programs. Had a user here in the office just download it, and we are dealing with it now. Completely unhooked the infected computer from the network while we investigate and determine our next course of action.